Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bone Bender 2011

Bone Bender 2011

Bone Bender, name is fitting for the course in Lawrence, KS Clinton Lake, lots of rocky terrain and for us Omaha peeps not something we are accustomed to. Platte River is the only course with some terrain similar to it, Clinton Lake is Platte x 100. I decided to do the 3hr race and was very glad I did as it really turned into almost a 4hr event. The race began with a LeMans start, we had to run up a hill to find your bike, hit some pavement and then onto the singletrack. I saw one dude fall while running at the beginning  he probably got trampled by the mob of racers, felt bad for him. I had a descent start but we got backed up a bit and had to jump off to get over a rocky hill section because if you didn't have any momemtum you weren’t going to make it. I broke off from the madness pretty quick and put some distance on the pack which was nice, I could ride my race without having someone breathing down my neck and make silly mistakes since I had no idea what was to come. I came in after my 3rd lap around 2hr 48 minutes so... 4th lap here we go thanks to Rafal yelling at me"get out there and do the 4th lap” - much appreciated as it would have dropped me in final spots if I hadn’t gone. The course had a little of everything some rocky areas, some nice flowing big ring sections (which I took full advantage of) water crossings and some hills. The course was in perfect condition considering Thursday they had bout 2" of rainfall. The trip was a blast, I have to thank Ryan and Rox for the ride down and back and Kevin for the hotel room on Saturday night, it was nice not having to get up and drive 3 hours Sunday morning and race. To cap it off we all took home some hardware as Ryan took 2nd in the Cat 1 Open, Rox took 3rd in the Cat 1 Open women and I took home 1st in the Cat 2 Open. Next up the Voodoo Fire 35 miler in Pueblo, CO on April 23rd then onto Moab and capping it off at the Rabbit Valley XC in Fruita, CO on April 30th.

Here is a link to full results: http://www.moto-tally.com/TWC/Results.aspx

3 comments: